Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Reflection 1 : My English Language learning journey

English was manageable in my primary and secondary school days. Although I did not score straight As for my English,  I was quite satisfied with Bs back then. However, it had become an issue when I started my tertiary education in a polytechnic. Complacency might have been one of the factor contributing to that I have not done as well in my language module, but I would still say it is mainly due to the lack of exposure and command in the language. Being a lazy person in nature, I do not like reading a lot. I would read only if my studies require me to do so.

However, due to the nature of a polytechnic education, being a practical oriented education, my exposure to the language was just not sufficient. Towards the end of National Service, I decided to do some readings in an attempt to kick start my "rusty" brain after learning that I had to take the QET. I attempted to write out an essay but my mind just went blank. I had a rude awakening at that point of time. I started to do more readings in the midst of a busy and tiring army schedule, as a last ditch effort to brush up my writing skills.

I thought I was able to get exempted by getting a band three grade. Unfortunately or fortunately, I have to do ES1102. I felt devastated as I have not even start school and I kind of "fail" something already. After spending sometime on the website of the module and reading testimonials of other students, I felt better. Now, after attending the first lecture, my mindset towards the module has changed drastically. I personally feel that I just need some guidance and refining on my writing. In all, I feel that learning English should be continual and one should constantly make the effort to improve themselves. Finally, I hope that through this module, not only I can improve my writing skills but also, open up my perspective on certain aspects on the itself. I am sure that this module would contribute positively to my English language learning journey.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Louis,
    your post was generally clear and concise. I think that your reflection demonstrates a strong connection between reflection and critical evaluation. You have analysed the reasons for not doing well in English and evaluate them.

    However,I felt weird when I read the second sentence of the first paragraph. It would be better if add a comma to that sentence. Pardon me if I am wrong

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Louis, for this clear and concise, and honest reflection. As you review your English learning experience, you are clearly self critical. To your credit, you don't enter any 'blame game.' I'm impressed that you can even find some value in taking ES1102.

    Here are some excerpts from your post that should be reconsidered and which illustrate how you might benefit:

    1)
    English has been manageable in my primary and secondary school days. (tense)

    2) However, it has become an issue when I started my tertiary education in a polytechnic.

    3) Complacency might have been one of the contributing factor that I have not done as well in my language modules as compared to the others, but I would still say it is mainly due to the lack of exposure and command in the language. (sentence structure)

    4) Towards the end of National Service, I have decided to do some readings in an attempt to kick start my "rusty" brain after learning that I have to take the QET. (tense)

    5) Now, after attending the first lecture, my mindset towards the module have changed drastically. (s-v agreement)

    Let's discuss these.

    ReplyDelete